[pct-l] New PCT Guidebook

Jim Keener ( J J ) pct2010 at ridgetrailhiker.com
Fri Oct 8 12:56:47 CDT 2010

>> I, for one, possibly the only one, LOVED the Wilderness Press
>> Guidebook and all the flowery prose. It was a highlight of my evening
>> to read it. I don't think I would have enjoyed the trip as much
>> without the natural history to enlighten me. I would have walked
>> around always wondering, what's this tree? What are these rocks?
>> What's that mountain? Sometimes the flowery prose also saved my butt
>> from getting lost. Of course those times were balanced out by the
>> times I did get lost. But anyway, if you are a natural history
>> person, a reader, an enjoyer of words, and a lover of trivia, you may
>> want to carry the WP guide book. My boyfriend set off with only
>> Eric's book and was frustrated not to have all that trivia. Being
>> such a walking encyclopedia of little tidbits of arcane knowledge, I
>> couldn't believe he went without it. I sent it to him and all was
>> right with the world once more.
>> On Oct 7, 2010, at 2:31 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

Greetings,

As usual, I get a lot out of what Diane writes. No exception here. The Wilderness Press books are written by people who are passionate about the Pacific Crest Trail and who know it intimately. There is poetry in the pages. And there is information in the narrative that can aid in navigation when detail missing from the maps. The area between the dam with no water and Silverwood Lake comes to mind.

In order to not be loaded down with the weight of the Guide Book pages, I read them in town and annotate the pages of the Data Book and/or Erik's PCT Atlas. This has served me well.

There are many options now for maps, guide books, and miscellaneous PCT information and the use of those. Ah. The options of "pick and choose"!

Walk well,
J J