[pct-l] Bleach as water purification

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Fri Oct 8 08:16:17 CDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "CHUCK CHELIN" <steeleye at wildblue.net>
To: "Molly Barth" <mafbarth at gmail.com>
Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net
Sent: Friday, October 8, 2010 9:00:51 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Bleach as water purification

I’ve used iodine at various times over the years, but after some research I
chose to avoid it for sustained use on a long trail.  If one does choose to
use iodine, in any of its various forms, I suggest adding about 1/4th of a
vitamin-C tablet per liter to the water AFTER the necessary waiting period.
The “C” is almost magical in removing the iodine taste and the faint brown
color.

Steeleye is correct that a vit C tab will immediately clear up taste and color and odor of iodine.  On the AT I ground up several pills and added just a "dab" of powder to the treated water (after the 20 min wait).  The active ingredient is ascorbic acid, which is found in most citrus products.  Adding powdered lemonade, Tang, etc will achieve the same effect as a vitamin C tab.

Mango