[pct-l] Angeles National Forest Closure Extended

Cosmic Cat cosmic.cat144 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 23:03:28 CDT 2010

Last night, I woke up in the middle of the night and was sad about this.
Section D is the best PCT hiking in SoCal IMHO. What is really sad is that
much of my good memories are now completely history. That PDF is crappy
quality and it took me a while to fully grasp the extent of the fire. That
is half of the entire section, completely trashed.

How much is really gone? What about that cute little scout camp with the
spring? We went past there early in the morning and the owner and his lady
friend offered us whiskey. Messenger Flats with its water and
shade? Humongous slept in the shitter there, after he encountered a cougar
after dark. Is anything left after the fire?

I was looking forward to seeing these places again, and overlaying a whole
new chunk of good memories over the top of it all.

Now I have a big road walk to look forward to. In the desert.

Has anybody given thought to a different alternate route? Like perhaps
through the urban jungle of the greater LA area? No shortage of water, food,
shade or interesting things to see. Heck, you wouldn't even need to carry
food. You would have to scout out the route to go through the safer, more
affluent bits (near the mountains I hope). You would also need a general
idea of where the motels are along the route. Sleeping outdoors in the LA
jungle is reserved for only the most adventurous of Thru Hikers. The only
challenge would be finding a place to pee.

Would any of the folks that live in that area be bold enough to propose a
route?

Goodness