[pct-l] Bear canisters/grouse

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Fri Oct 1 23:18:42 CDT 2010

The first time I heard it, I hadn't a clue what it was. I thought I was
imagining it. But it was too regular. And I really couldn't zero in on where
it was coming from--somewhere in the woods, over there, maybe.

Then I read a story where the noise was described by the main
character...maybe it was a Jack London novel...and I realized that the noise
was being made by a bird, of all things! I had known that turkeys gobbled
and eagles screeched and song birds did their thing, but a "whompf, whompf,
whompf, whompf" sound? Always regular and so deep that it seems to echo off
every trunk in the forest.

And the riot comes when you come upon one suddenly and they try to lure you
away from the nest with the broken wing show...

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd
South Lake Tahoe, Ca. 96150