[pct-l] Bear Canisters

Brick Robbins brick at brickrobbins.com
Fri Oct 1 14:21:36 CDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 8:46 AM,  <gwschenk at socal.rr.com> wrote:
> ---- Brick Robbins <brick at brickrobbins.com> wrote:
>
> Because thruhikers are special. Rules are only for mountain bikers.

Not at all. I am simply encouraging knowledge of the rules. Not breaking them.

The general perception that the law says "bear cannisters are
required" is not true.

In the restricted areas, one must use either a Bear Cannister, or a
Bear Box to comply with the "proper food storage" rules. For most
weekenders this means the only way to legally comply is with a Bear
Cannister.

Because Thru-Hikers regularly hike 20+ miles a day in the normal
course of events it is POSSIBLE to cover the distances between Bear
Boxes in a normal days hike, except for a couple of stretches.

I'm not saying it is advisable, or even desirable. Just that it is
possible, with the exceptions I posted due to the distance between
bear boxes.