[pct-l] Emergency Devices

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Tue Nov 30 14:13:14 CST 2010

The Air Force Command Center Captain explained that they have multiple satellites traveling around the world as well as up and down it across the U.S. from which each verifies the location of every PLB signal. The SPOT business utilizes just one direction which means that cross verification doesn't happen, thus finding you will take longer. Also, since PLBs operate on frequencies that are monitored by all military and commercial aircraft (as I understand it), your signal will be noticed sooner and by more different receivers than the SPOT operator located in an office somewhere. When the military gets into it, you get response (according to the Captain).

Regarding who to call from a sat phone: the best is to know all the Sheriff's Dispatch numbers along the route travelled, which is what we had when we called for Calorie's rescue this past spring. I don't know for sure how 911 is routed.

Regarding GPS coordinate relayance to whomever you call, I also don't know if the Iridium sat phones do this automatically or not. However, since, in the snow, we always carry Garmin 530 rhinos, we have the Lat/Long or UTM info to give SAR.

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education
1106A Ski Run Blvd