[pct-l] Emergency Devices

enyapjr at comcast.net enyapjr at comcast.net
Sun Nov 28 07:50:18 CST 2010

from Dan's post:
> I have always prefered to communicate to family that I am ok by calling
> using a calling card when I get to town.  This is my first long hike and
> my family is strongly encouraging me to carry something for emergencies.
> My family would like me to carry some kind of emergency device.

from Kevin's post:
> There seem to be several subscriptions to along with it. I'm pretty tech
> savvy and all, but I wasn't quite sure which service(s) I would want on a
> thru hike? I like the idea of sending the "OK" message each day, and
> having people able to track my progress would be neat too.

I'm planning on using a SPOT-2 (unless something 'better' comes along in the
next year) as a one-way communications device to let family & friends know
I'm "ok" plus to 'share' in my journey...  Minimum of one "ok" per day from
camp location, perhaps a second from mid-day lunch or siesta break...  The
'custom' message would be used to let the wife know I'd be calling within the
next 24 to 36 hours...

I think the SPOT-2 would be a great way to 'share' your journey plus give your
family much peace of mind that you also had an emergency device with you, too...
Then phone them from the town/resupply stops, they'll want to hear your voice!!

The only subscription 'needed' is the basic service...  I don't think the "track
progress" subscription is worth it - plus you would have to replace the lithium
batteries every 3 or 4 days, whereas just sending ok or custom messages one set
of batts can deliver 350-700 messages (depending on amount of sky obstruction).
The GEOS Rescue Insurance is mostly for third-world countries without any sort
of organized SAR - however SAR in the US currently isn't charged to 'victims'
(though I personally think it should be in many cases!)...  The "SPOT Assist" is
for road or maritime third-party 'service' - not needed on a thru-hike!  Lastly,
the "Product Replacement" is a possible option to consider depending on your
outlook - for ~1/3 the price (in the first year of use) of a new unit, if your
device is "damaged, lost, or stolen" it will be replaced - by a "refurbished unit
if available or new unit."

Good luck on your trek(s)!

Happy trails!!!
Jim (PITA)