[pct-l] Rain Gaer ?

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 17:06:10 CST 2010

Last year many folks started from Campo with DryDucks, as they are so light
and after all, we were in the desert.  The first storm that hit of us proved
the end of the DryDucks as they were shredded by the untrimmed chaparral,
which goes on for many miles all over SoCal.   The highway was somewhere
under that overgrown brush.  I ended up purchasing real rain gear at kick
off, as there just was not enough duct tape to keep those things together,
and at that point I didn't have the time to have my own sent from home.  We
were hit by a number of storms over the first 5 weeks, and temps were often
cold.  Some kind of silnylon or heavier rain gear, whether poncho, rain
skirt or pants and jacket was worn by all I hiked with for the rain, or as a
wind proof layer.  I shipped them home after the High Sierra, and had them
returned to me for Washington.  I saw many a pair of DryDucks being worn in
shreds before a change could be made.  I'd be interested to hear from folks
who successfully used them over the summer.  They are so light I'd love for
them to have worked out.

Shroomer