[pct-l] bug question

Kathi pogo at pctwalker.com
Sat Nov 27 13:06:12 CST 2010

I don't remember where I read it, may have been a post from someone on
this list or a book I read. There was a very scientific study done by
the military on what would keep mosquitoes away. They learned that it is
not a smell that keeps them away but an altering of the way they find
food. So their little blood sucking receptors get scrambled when the
come across something like deet. From what I remember they said it is
the carbon dioxide that the mossies zero in on to find their "prey",
same for ticks apparently. Deet scrambles their finding abilities so
they don't really "know" that anything is there and if one gets you with
a product like deet it is supposedly by sheer luck not because they
could "find" you. The article I read claimed that garlic and citronella
and all that other stuff and "home remedies" really didn't do anything
to detract mosquitoes.

I personally think there might be something in a person's natural
chemistry to keep mossies away. When I am by myself and unprotected I
will have mosquitoes come after me, but if I'm with other people the
mossies always go after them first and I might get 2 bites to another
person's 20 bites. Guess my blood is just too sweet for 'em. :p
Kathi