[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 35, Issue 65

greg mushial gmushial at gmdr.com
Sat Nov 27 12:58:38 CST 2010

> Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2010 15:28:31 -0800 (PST)
> From: Nathan Miller <erccmacfitheal at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Thiamine as Mozzie repellant
> To: pct-l at backcountry.net
>
>> What about Alternative Mosquito Management Methods (AMMM's)?
>
> I've heard eating garlic works.  I eat lots of garlic myself, often raw,
> but I haven't specifiacally tested it against mosquitoes.  It does boost
> the immune system and has anti-viral, anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
> properties.
>
> -Nate the Trail Zombie
> Newberg, OR

I don't know about mosquitos...  but during the summer of '79?? I ended up
taking a biology class (UCDavis extension) in tuolumne mdws for 4 weeks,
just after the road opened, ie, the place was wet. The mosquitos were
significant (though nothing compared to canada or alaska) and one of the
other students there had heard that raw garlic was a mosquito repellant...
I dont know if it worked for him - I don't think any of us were able to get
close enough to ask him...  so: data point - eating raw cloves of garlic
like dried apricots...  does repel humans.   ;-)
TheDuck