[pct-l] Emergency Devices

Stewart Johns stewfjohns at att.net
Sat Nov 27 06:08:21 CST 2010

All this talk about the Spot got me looking at it. I'm interested, but it
seems a bit expensive. There seem to be several subscriptions to along with
it. I'm pretty tech savvy and all, but I wasn't quite sure which service(s)
I would want on a thru hike? I like the idea of sending the "OK" message
each day, and having people able to track my progress would be neat too. ;)

I love my Spot device and never leave home without it.  It is a bit expensive
and the more services you subscribe to the more it costs.  A word of warning
though.  Spot has an auto renewal policy, and unless you cancel your service
in advance of your renewal date, they will automatically bill your credit card.
They mention this in their terms and conditions, but many people
were upset awhile back when this discussion
came up, because they felt that they were
cheated by this policy.  Just giving you the heads up, so you don't feel the
same way.  I love this device, and it performs just as advertised. Read all the
pages on the site, so you know exactly what you are buying.

Doc Holiday