[pct-l] Thiamine as Mozzie repellant

hetchhetchyman at aol.com hetchhetchyman at aol.com
Thu Nov 25 16:53:33 CST 2010

I have heard that thiamine intake can create a mosquito repellancy effect as well.
I don't have any scientific evidence and I carried deet and a headnet on the trails. However
I have heard also that Linguica sausage has a similar effect as vitamine B1 thiamine when ingested.
Hmm. i am not sure if the folks that told me that were referring to the repellancy being emitted
from the pores of the skin or somewhere else! Yikes!
What about Alternative Mosquito Management Methods (AMMM's)?
Does the windex thing really work?
I am already curious about this Moth Ball/OP sack bear/mouse deterrent idea but have no way morally to test it. Well , no way to morally test it
with the bears that is. I am seriously thinking of using Mendo riders "Bear charms" on the AT since I am going to sleep with my food anyways.
I have heard there are a lot of mice around shelters and though I plan to camp away from those places I no doubt will
stay near one at some point.
Whoa.. I guess I veered off topic. Sorry, I have not had my turkey yet.
Anyhow the most effective thing I have personally found to deter mosquitos is Ben's Brand Deet, a mosquito head net, and
a Columbia titanium long sleeve shirt.
The only alternative method i have used is to sometimes stop and kill every single mosquito that lands on me before
continuing. No, it does not decrease their numbers overall.. just makes me feel better.
Also climbing into the shelter at the end of the day, zipping the door shut... HaHA! Now.. it's MY turn!
I take my bandana and squash every one of the blood suckers! Again this provides a nice moral boost.
-Iceaxe