[pct-l] High Sierra clothing

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Wed Nov 24 16:20:25 CST 2010

On Nov 24, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I was thinking up until the high sierra's I cold wear my longjohns
> and my
> shorts and the option to put my rain pants on over that, for colder
> mornings
> and nights. I was just wondering if I should bring a little heavier
> pair of
> pants than rain pants and longjohns for the Sierra section?

I found the So Cal "desert" section to be colder than the High
Sierra. I was only cold in the Sierra if I camped in a spot where
cold air settled during the night. Otherwise the days were as nice
(or as nasty) as any other day on the trail for me.

In other words, there were some very cold days and cold nights in
Southern California. There were some snow storms. There were some 20-
something degree nights. There were times my hands were numb. I was
always glad to have a warm jacket and pants. You should be prepared
for randomly cold conditions up until around July and then it'll
mellow out.