[pct-l] Ice axes and starting early

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Mon Nov 22 19:01:55 CST 2010

Just to recap:

- an ice axe is a tool to help you maintain your balance while walking on
snow/icy traverses or while ascending steep snow slopes to Passes. It is,
also, handy as a rudder on those wild and fun descents from the Passes.
- it can be used in ascension as a self-belay anchor, for chopping
foot-holds in ice when your shoes simply won't get a grip and you can't turn
around, or for self-arrest after your feet slip and down you go. They make
good pack props, too, and as a back support to sit against while cowboy
camping under the stars (think Colin Fletcher).
- it is no good unless you know how to use it and have practiced the body
mechanics for reflexive self-arrest.
- is no good unless you recognize the need for it and stop and take it off
the back of your pack before continuing on.
- they are unsafe if not certified. (Yes, potty trowels do break when used
for self-arrest).
- short ones are lighter, but not as versatile for balanced
chopping/chipping, not long enough for self-belay in spring snow, and
usually forgotten altogether on the back of the pack.
- long versions with baskets can double as a walking pole and will always be
at the ready if you should fall.

Will I need one from the border to Kennedy Meadows? For the most part, no,
but for those areas where there will be snow and no small amount of it
(Desert Divide, San Jacinto, Fuller Ridge, San Bernardinos, San Gabriels),
you may wish you had one with you and knew how to use it. Of course, it
depends on whether you are post-holing in wet spring snow or fighting to
hold an edge on icy/crusty snow. The soft stuff does not require an axe,
unless you fall on a steep traverse, ascent, or descent and need one to help
you come to a stop. (If it's really soft stuff, your divot or "stizmark"
will be all you'll need to stop!). During your Planning and Preparation
stage, it is you who must decide what is your priority, the weight of the
axe and traction devices or your health and safety should you fall and slide
into the rocks or trees below. If measured in miles of SoCal March or April
trail, there will be few times where you will be happy that you had your
axe, but this is one tool where few other devices will accomplish the same
job.

I started the Divide and Crest with an axe. When I suddenly realized that I
needed it (looking at the ice ahead), I was oh so glad I had it, otherwise I
got used to the weight and used it for other things around camp.

Regarding starting early, we definitely promote the idea for the reasons
already mentioned by others as well as lowering your required daily mileage,
going through the desert while it is yet cool, and reaching Manning before
the early season powder snows start flying (powder is much harder to wallow
through and walk over than the consolidated stuff you saw through the
Sierra).

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education