[pct-l] Too much clothing!?

Hernandez hernand at magicriver.net
Mon Nov 22 16:59:18 CST 2010

You will appreciate the Tilly in the desert, so long as you understand that
your head will feel like it is swelling in the heat.  Sun protection is not
an opt-out.  Yes, you can drop the fleece and go with a Cap base layer, down
insulation layer, topped with the Pre-Cip rain layer. The chaparral and wind
in the desert tore my umbrella to pieces, but you may want to consider one-
I would try carrying one on the PCT again. If you need more warmth in camp,
you can wear your sleeping bag like a cloak... keep it away from the cook
stove to prevent it from catching fire, and the transfer of cooking food
smells to the sleeping bag. You can also wear your down jacket to bed, or
drape it inside the sleeping bag.  I like the Timex Expedition watch: it has
more alarms than I need, and a handy compass (I still carry a manual
compass, of course).  But really, even a cheap Seiko is all you would like,
and only to keep track of the days/date to make sure you hit the post
offices, and for any wake-up alarms.  Otherwise, the sun and stars are your
best watches.  And, yes, the trail will teach you what is right for you.

Have Fun Out There!

HR HuffnPuff
JMT: 06
PCT: 08
Key West, FL - Lebuc, Maine via FT, AT, and road walk'en: 10