[pct-l] Pct-L Digest, Vol 35, Issue 60

Will Hiltz will.hiltz at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 12:47:26 CST 2010

The problem with these environmental piety contests is that there is always
someone greener than you so you start to sound a little sanctimonious.  For
example, have you considered the environmental impact of the paper you are
using?  Most TP is not recycled, is made from old-growth trees and is
bleached in the manufacturing process.  You point out damage to root systems
done in digging the hole... a given-- but a given in both your case and our
smooth rock folk case.  Or are you carrying out your actual poops as well?
 Once the hole is dug I submit its a least a wash, and probably "greener" to
use a few smooth stones you picked up from a riverbed rather than TP that
drives timber harvest in the very sorts of forests we are enjoying on the
trail. You shouldn't be grabbing foliage unless you absolutely must and I
agree this is not LNT process in principle, but in terms of impact its still
below industrially manufactured TP.  Maybe your own behavior needs to change
with the times.... or just keep the sanctimony, keep using paper and just
don't bury it!

Easy