[pct-l] TP or no TP

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Nov 21 22:37:56 CST 2010

On Nov 21, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> I have to bring up this question again. How is this LNT? LNT says that
> we are to take nothing but pictures, and leave nothing but footprints.
> If 400 thru hikers are taking smooth stones and corn lilies to
> clean up
> with, that doesn't seem LNT to me. It makes more sense to use TP and
> pack it out, and leave the corn lilies alone.

And how is it leave no trace to use a considerable amount of clean
drinking water to poop in, then flushing it down to the ocean? The
truth is there is no such thing as leave no trace. There is no
boundary between the environment up there where the trail is and the
environment down here where we live. Only a crazed society believes
it is a good idea to poop in its drinking water, after stealing it
from the High Sierra where we walk. You want to leave no trace, get a
composting toilet.