[pct-l] TP or noTP issue

Melanie Clarke melaniekclarke at gmail.com
Sat Nov 20 21:25:17 CST 2010

Dear PCT,

This is awkward to discuss but very important.  We should not be leaving
toilet paper or anything behind except footprints.

I absolutely do not carry toilet paper on the trail.  After I pee, I just
pull up my underwear to absorb remaining drips.  I bathe and wash out my
underwear (shirt and socks) every single day so I don't accumulate filth.
Sweat also contains salts and urea so a few more drips are no big deal.  For
the poo, I carry a small stack of folded diaper wipes in a ziplock bag.  A
bag of about 20 clean wipes take up less room than toilet paper.  I use one
to wipe, fold, wipe again, fold wipe clean.  Then I place in a dirty Zip
Lock.  Since I seem to cross an area with trash service 7 days at the
longest, this isn't a lot of nasty garbage to carry around.  10 dirty (poo
smears folded in) diaper wipes in a zip lock bag does not take up a lot of
room.  This keeps me cleaner than toilet paper, using less room.  All
excrement should be sufficiently buried and dirt re-packed firmly with your
shoe.

Melanie