[pct-l] Ice axe

Robert E. Riess robert.riess at cox.net
Sat Nov 20 19:54:52 CST 2010

I was surfing the net to buy an ice axe, and the Univercity of Google routed me to the PCTA website.  I know they monitor PCT-L, and since I do not have their address, I'll forego CC'ing the PCTA.

>From the PCTA website:

Q. As a PCT thru-hiker will I need an ice axe, crampons, climbing rope, skis, or snowshoes?

A. Depends on season and snowpack. Many north-bound hikers carry an ice axe starting at the Mexican border to provide an extra margin of safety on high steep snow slopes in early season - this assumes you are already qualified in the technique of self-arrest. Consider mailing your ice axe home or ahead when you get through the high Sierra.

Starting in 1999, I have hosted over 500 hikers with starting dates between March 17 and May 15.  I have seen only a couple of  ice axes in San Diego.  In 10 ADZPCTKO's I have seen maybe two more.  Am I missing something? Or are they all hiding them in their pockets?  I know hikers cannot fly with one unless it is in checked baggage and 80% of my hikers arrive by air.   Is there much need of an ice axe south of Kenndy Meadows?

Hike on!!  Bob Riess at the trailhead.

Liberals love humanity in the abstract, but hate people, especially those who disagree or refuse to submit.