[pct-l] Resupply

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 21:56:46 CST 2010

Carl,
I have cached in many different places during my ride. Once in a barrel in a
barn ( with the permission of the owner) near the school that you pass just
before crossing the Mojave on the way to Cottonwood.  Once (with permission) in
someones garage. Once in the storage room of the Ranger Station at Harts Pass in
Washington. Once in an abandoned log cabin near Windy Pass also in Washington.
I have learned to always store cached food in OpSaks to prevent rodents and
bears from smelling it.

But most often I bury my caches - usually about 200' or more from road crossings
or trail heads. I have become an expert at camouflage.  I carefully peel back
the ground cover so I can reuse it. I dig a long shallow hole and bury my OpSaks
along with exactly 10 mothballs if I am in bear country. (the bears dislike the
smell of mothballs - they do not smell like something that a bear would want to
eat) Then I carefully cover the cache, using the original ground cover and often
branches and leaves found on the ground nearby. My criteria is that if a person
were to walk by that spot, my cache would not be noticed.  When I am back to
recover it, days or even weeks later, I have sometimes had  great difficulty in
finding it myself. That is because, when deciding where to cache, I will have
considered several possible spots. Then, since I camouflage so well, it is hard
to remember where I cached. For my 2011 ride I will always take a picture of the
cache location.

When I return to recover my food I do everything in reverse - remove branches,
peel back ground cover, recover food bags and all 10 mothballs (for reuse) and
return the ground cover and camouflage again so that there is no sign that that
spot was ever used for a cache.

Sorry I had to go to so much detail to explain, but I feel that it is very
important that  "leave no trace" be a priority. It takes time to do a proper job
of returning the spot to look as it did originally.

MendoRider/Ed Anderson