[pct-l] Stream crossing- a different approach

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 15 08:17:32 CST 2010

I still remember vividly being faced by a intimidating rushing stream to cross
during a late 1950's solo hike in the Sierras.  I was a skinny guy carrying
about 45 pounds in my Kelty pack. (I had one of the first Keltys that I had
purchased from him while he was still working out of his garage in
Glendale during the early 1950's).

     The water was only about two feet deep, but very swift. From what I could
see of it the bottom looked fairly smooth. The force of the current would
obviously sweep me off my feet.  So, after thinking it over, I decided to reduce
the drag be removing my pants - my skinny legs would offer less resistance.
Then I undid the belt on the pack and moved the shoulder straps further outboard
so that I could dump it if necessary and tossed my ice axe to the other side of
the creek. Then, to increase my weight, I carried a fairly heavy boulder (about
50 pounds) in my arms to increase my weight and hold me down. against the force
of the current.  I was ready to dump both pack and boulder if necessary.  This
strategy worked fine as I slowly worked my way across.
MendoRider