[pct-l] stream crossing practice

Marion Davison mardav at charter.net
Sun Nov 14 16:15:45 CST 2010

My biggest problem with stream crossings was dealing with a deep fear of
moving water.  I first encountered that fear on my first Colorado River
canoe trip.  It hit me unexpectedly, since it was a new situation.
I had done plenty of easy stream crossings prior to my first long Sierra
trip, but had a bad experience crossing Fish Creek in Cascade Valley,
second crossing.  The current pushed me off my feet and I had to crawl
across the rest of the creek, digging my hands, toes, knees, and my
trekking poles into the bottom to prevent being swept downstream.  After
going down, I was unable to stand again, so I just crawled sideways to
the opposite bank, facing upstream and keeping as much of my body as
possible down in the streambed surface.  After that I was really afraid
of swift water crossings.
What helped me was to go to Zion National Park in the summer, to the
Narrows, and spend several hours walking upstream and back down again.
Spending that much time in the moving water seemed to desensitize my
worst feeling of fear.  Since then I have done many more nasty crossings
without succumbing to fear.  It's a good thing, since I have since had
to spend many hours wading in rivers with llamas to teach them not to be
afraid of water crossings.  The desensitization process works for them
too.
Marion