[pct-l] Hammock on the PCT

Kevin Cook hikelite at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 00:52:09 CST 2010

Hi Shawn

I've used my hammocks in horrendous mosquitoes. I've experimented with 2
styles. The first style used a bug net that draped over a ridgeline. The
advantage of this style is the ability to pitch without a tarp, and it uses
less netting and therefore is lighter. The other style uses netting walls
that velcro around the perimeter of the tarp. The advantage of this style is
a tremendous amount of bug-free living space. My experimental version is big
enough for 2 hikers and a dog. It doesn't way too much, but definitely more
than the other style. It is bulky though. I carry it in a compression sack
to minimize this. I'm definitely leaning towards carrying this style. I will
probably make a lighter version though.

I've never experienced the problem of mosquitoes getting me through the
bottom of the hammock. I use a pad inside the hammock. I've use closed cell
foam and a therma rest. Both provided complete protection. Of course with
the net wall style of tarp, this isn't an issue.

I haven't thru hiked the PCT yet either, but I did ask on this list about
this several years ago. A hiker named Ronnie, from Isreal, responded to me
that there were very few nights he couldn't hang his hammock. He did concede
that he would hike a couple miles longer sometimes to find a good spot with
trees. Some might react to this with concern, but is that different from
sleeping in a tent? I've used a hammock for many years now. I find that
hammock suitable sites are far more common then ground based sites. Ronnie
only had issues in socal. I've spent a lot of time in the Sierras, and I
never had any problem finding a place suitable for a hammock. It's easy
enough to camp below treeline. If you really must camp above treeline to
setup for the following day, then you aren't any worse off then anyone else
sleeping on the ground. Again, an argument for the tarp with net walls.

If you prefer to use a hammock, then use one! I've converted several of my
backpacking companions to hammocking. I'm not sure what keeps folks on the
ground. ;)