[pct-l] Just my opinion

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri Nov 12 21:03:23 CST 2010

Good evening, Steven,

One of the best preparations you can make for stream crossing is to find
some local creek or river and wade around sufficient to become comfortable
when doing so; preferably in the winter when the water is miserably cold and
the rocks are slick.  Wear your hiking shoes and start with ankle-deep
water, then progress to waist-deep water if you can.

The elements to address are the severe cold, the slick bottom footing, and
the feel of the current against the legs.
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=265511
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=167914<http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=265511>

I don’t know where you live, but the biggest risk might be the possibility
that neighbors or bystanders might call the cops.  I’m fortunate to live on
the west slopes of the Cascades where – any time of year – I can find
wild-water anywhere from ankle deep to stretches that are un-kayakable.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye<http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09>