[pct-l] pole bending

ned at mountaineducation.org ned at mountaineducation.org
Wed Nov 10 15:32:48 CST 2010

Hey, Steel-Eye!

I just had that experience, a pole bending while negotiating a slippery side
slope, last Sunday night! Usually they just collapse, because of the
twist-locks, but this time I was using one of my beloved Black Diamonds with
the cam-locks which don't slip, and the darn thing just bent like mad in the
lower segment to a 45-degree angle and I went down for the 10th time in the
3-mile approach to four lost hikers freezing in a snow storm on Echo Summit.
I guess I should take Mags advice and just use ski poles (one piece) and not
adjustables at all!

"Just remember, Be Careful out there!"

Ned Tibbits, Director
Mountain Education