[pct-l] if you're a voter at America's Great Outdoors

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Nov 9 21:26:25 CST 2010

On Nov 9, 2010, at 10:00 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Eckert,
> Thanks for posting that link. EVERYONE ON THIS LIST should read it
> (see eckert's
> post on 11-8-10)?and be aware that there will be a big push from
> the off-roaders
> to influence the government to open up Wilderness Areas and the PCT?
> to their
> use.? Realize that they greatly outnumber hikers and equestrians
> and that their
> numbers are growing. We should all vote on that "America's Great
> Outdoors" forum
> and also write our representatives.
>
> MendoRider

As an aside, I think it is totally unfair that the government is
going to use this America's Great Outdoors forum to determine policy.
I had never heard of it until recently. I'm not of the mind to camp
out on it stalking for topics opened by OHVers and Mountain Bikers.
I'm sure regular folks out there have no idea of that forum and they
would want the wilderness preserved if someone were to bother asking
them. Putting up something like this invites a lop-sided response
from vested interests with the time, energy and money to sit around
signing up email addresses and posting new "ideas" and voting them
up. It's completely unfair.