[pct-l] Jacket questions?

Sean 'Miner' Nordeen sean at lifesadventures.net
Mon Nov 8 20:17:06 CST 2010

The coldest temperature that I had before Washington was the day after Wrightwood when the high was 42F most of the day as the trail paralleled Hwy2.  So much for hot and sunny in SoCal.  For the entire trail, I carried a Montbell Ex.Light Down Jacket that weighed 6.4oz in size L.  It was great to wear around camp as there were many nights below freezing and it made for a soft pillow at night.  I couldn't wear it for hiking much.  The longest I kept it on when starting out in the early morning was about 30minutes as by then my body was fulling warmed up and it was starting to get too hot to keep on.  Normally just a baselayer under my shirt and my rain jacket was fine for most early morning/night hiking except for the last 4 days on the trail when I finished up with snow.  I would carry the down jacket again as it was extra insurance incase I was in a major storm; especially for sleeping at night as it would allow my sleeping bag temp range to be extended down lower.  Someone who is more cold blooded then I would probably want some extra layers compared to me as I tend to stay warmer then most as long as I'm eating well.

-Miner