[pct-l] Food

gwschenk at socal.rr.com gwschenk at socal.rr.com
Mon Nov 8 10:18:22 CST 2010

---- Brandon Reed <brandon.reed2008 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I'm gonna starts my hike with cold food options to save the weight on fuel and
> stove, plus with the heat, desert, abundance of resupply, and generally just
> being more tired in the start of a hike, I normally don't eat hot meals. I will
> mail my stove to have later in the trip. Does anyone have any suggestions or
> sites to review for cold food options that wont bore me by day 2. I can only eat
> tuna and candy bars for so many meals before I start to go crazy.

Starting at the border in April, you'll only be in the desert for a few hours in the vicinity of Scissor's Crossing. As for heat, you might very well find yourself wishing for some heat. At least until you get to San Gorgonio Pass.

I found hot chocolate and hot tea to be very welcome through section A and great for morale. But I'm not that tough.

As for cold food, ham, hard salami, cheese, tortillas, nutella and bagels all last a long time. Chocolate, and dried fruit can power a hiker for days. Underwood Deviled Ham and Wheat Thins are also a favorite. A can of cold beans is an old traditional standby.

Gary