[pct-l] Bikes on PCT- alternative enforcement idea

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Fri Nov 5 22:22:43 CDT 2010

Just was reading articles on the NYTimes webpages and read the following
article:

Using Video Surveillance to Catch the Neighbors - NYTimes.com
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/04/garden/04surveillance.html?hpw

Article tells how neighbors, etc. around New York used video surveillance
equipment to catch culprits in the act and thus provide usable specific
evidence to law enforcement, etcetera.

So maybe we can do something like this.  Set up concealed cameras where
there are frequent violations and see if we can identify people and
vehicles. Perhaps post the videos on YouTube. Cost of equipment is coming
down so could very well be feasible. Biggest issue I see is concealing the
camera and gear so it can record without the scofflaws seeing and then
destroying it; and then going to retrieve the recordings.  Or maybe we
could put a volunteer in a blind with a camera with a telephoto lens and
record them, then use that evidence.  Could also provide convincing
evidence that mountain bikes, etc. are incompatible with the PCT.

--
Tortoise

<>  Because truth matters!<>