[pct-l] Macadamia Nuts...healthy & most calorie rich trail food

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Wed Nov 3 16:37:03 CDT 2010

/On Tue, Nov 2, 2010 at 2:45 PM, <bighummel at aol.com
  My co-worker just told me that, apparently, McNuggets don't spoil
over//extended periods of time. Can anyone confirm this?
Sounds like another great//trail food!
Reinhold writes:
Big Hummel,
Macadamia nuts are another great trail food that does not spoil over
extended periods of time.
I rely heavily on macadamia nuts for calories on my speed hikes.
Macadamia nuts have a a very high concentration of  "monounsaturated
fats" which is the most benign of fats and does not affect your
cholesterol or prostaglandins (regulators of hormone action).
Monounsaturated fats are also found in olive oil.
Macadamia nuts are delicious and, because of their high oil
concentration, are not overly dry tasting like most nuts and therefore
do not require you to drink a lot of water to wash them down.
And, at 200 calories per ounce, they are the most calorie dense trail
food I am aware off.
You have to drink straight oil to beat that calories per ounce count.

So, my UL rabbit friends, if you want to lighten your pack incorporate
macadamia nuts into your menu...the more the better.
Hey, it worked for me on my JMT record attempts.

Besides, I love macadamia nuts....I have two macadamia nut trees and eat
them all the time.
Some folks say that may be the cause or reason for my nutty personality.

I also have fruit trees (orange, plum, grape fruit, tangerine, avocado,
banana) and eat them all the time also.
Some folks say that may be why I am so fruity.

Hhhhmmmm.........that could explain my problem....but what about
Switchback, he lives in Las Vegas....it's to hot in Las Vegas for fruit
trees or macadamia nut trees.....so what is causing his problem???
Could it be to many nights at high elevation???
Just curious....that's all.

JMT Reinhold
The curious one
/