[pct-l] Wilderness Press Guides going out of print - Kindle Data Book

Ralph Alcorn rbalcorn at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 11:26:27 CDT 2010

I just downloaded a sample of the Kindle version of the Data Book. One
immediate problem for me is that the tables are images, and not zoom-able.
It takes very good light for these aging eyes to read it. It could be done
properly with the tables as html text, but obviously a lot more work for the
publisher.

I think someone suggested that the PCTA buy the rights (publisher's and
author's) and then have volunteers responsible for each section, much like
trail maintenance. Sounds good to me. It could then be published digitally
in some form of ebook.

I also have a copy of Cicerone's new Pacific Crest Trail guide. It is nicely
done, in color, but as mentioned, the maps are strip maps with no
elevations, so I would want to carry an additional set of maps. It by the
way, weighs 14 ounces, the Kindle weighs 7 ounces. Donna and Jeff are going
to have to install 50 outlets to recharge all the electronic devices.
--
Ralph Alcorn
http://www.backpack45.com/pct.html