[pct-l] Escape to the Wilderness

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Wed Nov 3 18:18:38 CDT 2010

Reinhold the Hiking Gigolo writes: Yes Big Hummel....you "Big Brute".....I don't blame the trail women for running away from big brutes like you and Switchback.  That is exactly one of the things I liked about the good ol' days because when trail women ran away from big brutes like you and Switchback they came straight to my campsite for comfort and protection.
Switchback replies: Back in the day, you had to be a brute or you did not survive.  But I must say that by the time Wagon Master Strider got on the PCT with his pals, it was all civilized by us earlier trailblazers in 1970.  We had forged the path through the wilderness and fought off Neanderthal attacks.  This was before all the hype about being in Class of this or Class of that.  Back in the early days we had to fight for every inch of trail duff.  We had to fight for every drop of water.  The Indians noticed any weakness or poor decision making to add your scalp to their collection.  Women measured a man by his ability to fight off several saber tooth tigers at once.   I remember once when Strider picked up a rock and hit a charging mammoth between the eyes.  I think that is when he got interested in rocks.
=