[pct-l] Winter Hiking the Desert Section

Ernie Castillo erniec01 at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 2 15:03:02 CDT 2010

I grew up in Victorville, which is approximately equal distance (in thru-hiker estimates) from Big Bear, Wrightwood, and Cajon Pass. I also hiked the PCT in 1980 so I can offer an opinion on the topic.

Winters in the High Desert section can be extremely cold. Consider that the wind blows down from the mountains and you can imagine why. So if you are going to hike the desert section in winter, dress warmly.

And I am only talking about the desert section, not the mountainous sections of the PCT. If you are going to hike in the San Jacinto, San Gabriel, and Angeles Forest areas plan for cold and snow.

Ernie Castillo, one of those crazy guys who kept swapping hiking partners and became known as the Revolving Ramen for this habit as much as their diet, PCT class of 1980