[pct-l] Winter Hiking the Desert Section

Amanda L Silvestri aslive at sbcglobal.net
Mon Nov 1 23:00:48 CDT 2010

Janet

Living in L.A. I hiked all the desert sections in the winter.  Let me tell you, it does get cold!  That can be alright if you are prepared for it.  You will want a good air mattress and sleeping bag and a shelter that can stand up to the wind.  As most of the desert is relatively flat, you can carry equipment that may be heaver than what you would carry in the mountains.  Dress in layers and be ready for snow in the Mojave.  You will need to bring all of your water with you.  You may even want to drive out first and leave your own caches.

Shepherd