[pct-l] Why must there be a "Right Way & wrong way" to hike the trail?

Jennifer Ryan jlr327 at cornell.edu
Mon Nov 1 09:11:59 CDT 2010

Wireless:

You misuse of the word discrimination and in so doing disregard the
underlying reasons why mountain bikes are not allowed on the PCT. It is not
the case that hikers universally harbor great feelings of animosity towards
all bikers (though in some fringe cases this may be true). Instead, mountain
bikes are not permitted to ride on such pack trails as the PCT both for the
danger posed to hikers (blind corners, etc) and for the erosive effect that
bike tires have on the trail. Unlike hiking boots or even horse hooves, bike
tires have a much higher impact on the trail and can result in erosion that
is often irreversible and at the very least necessitates a much greater
maintenance effort on the part of volunteers.

This is not a case of discrimination and to appropriate such language is to
suggest a victimization that is unjust to those who have written earnestly
on the listserve about this important issue. I would hope that your love of
the outdoors and your desire to conserve the great places of beauty that
exist in our country will outweigh any offense you may take from the
comments that have been directed towards mountain bikers and, as of late,
towards yourself. No comment expressed on this listserve is, or at the very
least should, be meant to attack you specifically or mountain bikers more
broadly. The people who have taken to the time to write on this listserve
have done so out of their true devotion to the trail.

All the best,
Jennifer

--
Jennifer L. Ryan