[pct-l] MTB Mindset and The Trail

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 1 12:45:47 CDT 2010

I can’t speak for the mindset of the bikes on the PCT crowd.  Ditto those that
want to open wilderness to bikes (look around – there is plenty out there:  FB
pages, specifically “Wilderness B = Wilderness with Bikes”, the IMBA, etc).

What these MTBers either don’t understand, willfully ignore, don’t care about,
or what other reason motivates them is that their desire to open the PCT and
wilderness to bikes is a zero sum game.  For them to gain, others necessarily
lose.

For what ever reason, they don’t care, understand, know, get that the mere
presence of bikes on the PCT or in wilderness destroys the experience for a
large number of hikers and equestrians.  I go to the wilderness to get away from
modern society, to relax and reset.  To enjoy space unspoiled by machines.  To
enjoy a slower pace of life in wildness that is quiet save for the sounds of
nature.  To have to dodge hell bent for leather MTBers coming down the trail, to
hear the piercing squeal of disc brakes, to slog along trail churned to mud –
only one of these will ruin what is otherwise what I’m seeking in heading to the
wilderness or out for a hike on The Trail.  Go to the Wilderness B FB page and
read for insights into the mind set – the self centeredness in wanting to be
able to go ANYWHERE is unmistakable.  All I want is my bit of peace and quiet
left alone, which is too much to ask of the MTB crowd I suppose.  They have
practically all of the forest outside of wilderness areas already - I guess
that's not good enough for them.

It’s been my experience that the MTB crowd is also willfully ignorant of the
facts of the wilderness act.  They hide behind arguments that bikes were banned
from the wilderness by rule and not by the plain text of the act (see section 4c
specifically, to wit:  “no other form of mechanical transport”).  When
confronted by this fact, they simply ignore the plain English in the act and
press on like it didn’t exist.

In regards the recent discussion on fines, etc.  Wake up folks.  150, 250 or 500
bucks is chump change to a MTBer.  The only thing that matters to them is their
beloved ride.  Until the penalty is a fine AND loss of the bike, bike shoes,
helmet, body armor, bike tools and accessories (all the MTB specific gear) that
are illegally on a trail or in wilderness, they won’t respect the law.  MTBers
spend a lot of time and energy into customizing their rides.  It’s the same kind
of effort that we hikers put into our own gear selection and customization.  Far
fewer of them would risk losing it all if that was part of the penalty.  Try
this thought experiment:  How many thru hikers would risk entering fire closures
if part of the penalty was loss of their hiking gear (pack, sleeping bag, poles,
shelter, stove, etc, etc, etc)?  Yeah…not many.  The same dynamic applies to
MTBers.

TC

Note:  The above is said as someone who loves some fine single track.  I was
just out at Duthie Hill MTB park on Saturday (Issaquah, a bit east of Seattle).
Talk about fun. It also highlighted that what is a great MTB trail is a lousy
hiking trail – super elevation in the turns, winding and twisting tread,
whoop-de-doos, jumps, etc.  And the mush that wheels make from the slightest bit
of organic matter on the trail.