[pct-l] how much money to save an ounce

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Mon May 31 23:48:59 CDT 2010

I am comparing silnylon vs. cuben fibre stuff sacks over on the ZPacks.com
website. I'm also a (retired) accountant and sometimes love to analyze. So
I did a little spreadsheet to compare the cost to save an ounce or a pound
or a gram or a kilogram for the various sizes I'm interested in.

Results - to save:
1 ounce		     $  28
1 pound		     $448

1 gram			$  1
1 kilogram		$991

dollar amounts are rounded.

the costs to save weight seem high until one considers carrying the weight
on a thruhike of the PCT. then the costs to save a pound per mile hiked are
less than $0.17 per mile. Would you carry a pound for a mile for $0.17?
More info to consider in your gear planning.

I also compared the ZPacks backpacks, and the costs to save weight are much
higher. But also the cuben fiber packs are listed as being much more
durable than the sil-nylon so the comparisons are not that applicable
unless one wants a pack for only occasional use.

--
Tortoise

<> Because truth matters! <>