[pct-l] Getting Back on Trail, Leaving a Car in SoCal

Dan Ransom danransom at gmail.com
Mon May 31 19:43:41 CDT 2010

Howdy All,

This might come as a strange request, but I am trying to find a way to
possibly "leave" a car in SoCal for a couple months while I'm on the
trail.  I originally started hiking in April, came off the trail with
tendinitis in my right ankle/shin after fuller ridge, and am currently
trying to get back on after some help from cortisone and a month off
the trail...

However, I will most likely end up skipping the section from Big Bear
to Agua Dulce, partly because of the roadwalk, partly due to schedule
restraints.  My brainstorm plan would be to leave a car somewhere near
Agua Dulce or Mojave, or possibly near Kennedy Meadows, and if my leg
will cooperate, try and finish most of the hike, fly back to Palm
Springs in the fall, and finish the last section when it is cooler
(and maybe sans road walk), then pick up the car and drive back home,
trying to spare myself as many expensive flights as possible.  The
other contingency is that if the tendinitis flares back up, it solves
the logistics of not having to fly again, and leaves me with a car to
do some support along the trail instead.  I guess I'm curious if
anyone has options for a place to leave a car that doesn't charge for
storage, and doesn't mind a car parked for a few months.

Does this sound remotely possible?  If anyone has any suggestions,
feel free to hit me sideband - danransom AT gmail DOT com.

Dan - "Breezy"