[pct-l] down jacket?

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon May 31 16:56:39 CDT 2010

I'm female and from Santa Barbara (born and raised) so cold is not my
thing.

On the PCT I found my Patagonia down sweater to be just right. I love
that thing. It was a total last-minute purchase and has been worth
every penny and then some.

I don't know what the criteria is to call it a sweater. I think it's
just that it is very thin and hardly has any down at all. It's very
warm for how thin it is. I can wash it in the washer and it'll line
dry faster than a pair of jeans. Patagonia makes the same sweater
with a front pocket, half-zip and a hood just like a sweatshirt. Both
are well-loved among those I've met who have them.

I considered my down jacket to be sacred. I never wore it while
hiking. Only in bed on the coldest nights and only in town otherwise.
A thin wind breaker over my desert shirt and if really cold, warm
hats and gloves and rain pants, was enough while hiking. Even last
weekend when I went for a hike on the PCT near Santa Clarita and
there were snow showers and high winds during the day I did not need
to wear my down while I hiked. When I stopped, yeah. I was glad to
have it then.

Diane

On May 31, 2010, at 9:50 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> I am?considering purchasing a down jacket (different?from a down
> sweater??) for?a thru hike next year. I am?planning on using this?
> for my camp?warm layer?and for sleeping, not for when hiking
> necessarily. I get cold easily and being cold makes me miserable. I
> love that?down is light weight, packs down super small and keeps
> you very warm. I am concerned about it getting wet,?not thrilled
> about the price tag and wonder if I need a camp jacket vs finding
> something? that can be used?when hiking & in camp. I am not an UL
> but also want to be sensible about each ounce/item.
>
> Do many carry a set of designated "camp clothes"?
>
> Do are down jackets really a bit water repellent (as stated on
> some) or will they get wet (useless) quickly and easily?
>
> I would?love to hear of thoughts, experiences or?alternate
> suggestions!
>
> Thanks!
> Lisa

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes
http://stores.lulu.com/dianesoini

We're not here for a long time, but we are here for a good time