[pct-l] Down Jacket?

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Mon May 31 13:14:08 CDT 2010

I believe the main difference between a down sweater and jacket are the degree of warmth.

Both have zippers.  Pullovers are usually referred to as Anoraks.

It should be said that there is often tremendous variation of nomenclature by manufacturers.

That all said, down is a wonderful garment.  To really get a coat drenching wet is actually quite hard, as I discovered the first time I tried to wash one!

Various manufacturers either use an outer layer of material that is quite water resistant (you don't want waterproof, or it can't breath, and gore-tex doesn't quite cut it), or may apply a water resistant chemical, such as Scotch-Guard, which really resists rain absorbsion.

A down garment MAY be a real nice thing to have, depending upon your trail habits, and it is definitely a "safety net" in terms of extending sleeping temperature comfort.

I use them often, and really like them.  I rarely, though, use them in the Sierra after about June 1, as it is warm enough to avoid the need.

YMMV