[pct-l] Shoe life on Trail

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat May 29 19:19:24 CDT 2010

Most trail runners don't last very long. Mine seemed to wear out on
the tops faster than on the sole. I think the longest lasting trail
shoes that aren't boots are actually Chacos. Look at the pics on this
site: http://sourcetosea.net/backpacking-in-chaco-sandals/

Things to avoid in trail shoes: Stupid draw-cord lacing systems. If
the cord or cord-lock breaks, then you're stuck trying to jerry rig
the laces. Regular shoe laces are better. Also, the thin cords on
those stupid draw-cord lacing systems will cut through any lacing
eyelets that aren't made of metal. So avoid lacing systems that don't
use traditional metal eyelets.

I also found the fabrics most trail shoes are made of to wear holes
quickly. I had holes break out in mine simply because my feet had
enlarged yet again. A brand new pair sprouted holes in the mesh in
two days because of this. Bring thread/floss and a needle to make
repairs to your shoes. I made a lot of repairs to my shoes, as did
others, especially the closer we got to the end.

You can buy shoes from the trail, too, even at your size. There are
opportunities, but no guarantees. Cabazon has an outlet mall with a
Famous Footwear store and I think they had a Columbia outlet, too. In
Aqua Dulce you can get a ride into Los Angeles. There's an REI people
like to go to there. In Mammoth they have a couple of good gear
shops. In the Lake Tahoe area you'd likely be able to find some
shoes. Same with Portland and Seattle. And if all else fails, you can
try mail-order. My trick was to order online and ship to my support
person who would then send packages on to me General Delivery.

Diane
On May 29, 2010, at 8:42 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Subject: Re: [pct-l] Shoe life on Trail
> To: <steeleye at wildblue.net>
> Cc: pct-l at backcountry.net
>

> Thanks for the reply about shoe mileage
>

> I have to carefull planning this as I wear 15 or 16's and can't
> just go to the 'store and pick up a pair
>

> I'm interviewing New Balance 1012's and Keen Voyeur. Both using
> Superfeet.
>

> I've seen two reports now that the Keens only go about 400
> miles..Surprising to me as they seem well built! But hey.

Books I've written:
~ Piper's Flight
~ Adventure and Magic
~ Santa Barbara Hikes