[pct-l] maps & software for Garmin & Mac

Nikii Murtaugh boundforadventure at gmail.com
Sat May 29 13:09:37 CDT 2010

FWIW my Costco (Kennewick, WA) was selling the Garmin 400t for $329.99 two
weeks ago.  I bought one, but the jury is still out on whether I'm keeping
it or not.  The downside is weight and the screen is really hard to see
outside.  Halfmile gave me some suggestions.  The other downside is the
language is German, and so far I've been unable to change it.

Clippers

Sometimes free is good, such as Firefox.
Sometimes free is adequate or better for what one needs to do, such as
OpenOffice and NeoOffice.
Sometimes commercial / professional is the best.
Sometimes what one needs/wants is not available commercially; so one
makes/improvises or makes do with what is available.

Then there is the personal aspect -- how competent am I, how much time am I
willing to spend, and how much do I enjoy the project.

So I enjoy fiddling with this stuff until I decide on a different option.
And I have fiddled enough with the free map file so time to go buy.

Tortoise