[pct-l] John Muir Trail Logistics Question

Ken Murray kmurray at pol.net
Fri May 28 22:42:00 CDT 2010

Very easy, Stan.  Come out at the Mammoth area, either close or far, depending upon how your hike goes, take the shuttle up to Mammoth, then Yarts back to Tuolumne.  Easy, cheap.  Only issue is figuring out the schedule in advance so you are in the right place at the right time for YARTS.

Drive to your airport of choice (you may want to consider Reno), leave the car there, fly back and get your car, bingo.

I plan to hike/backpack part of the John Muir Trail with my family beginning in the later part of June (2010).  We start at the Lyell Canyon Trail Head hiking North to South.  I am only able to backpack the first 3-4 days and am trying to find out a good point to get off the trail and then find transportation to an airport to fly home most likely Las Vegas.  My plan is to fly back to pick up our vehicle, drive down to Whitney Portal and pick up my family there.  My questions are as follows:

- Where is a good point to (approximately 3 days @ 10 miles/day) to get off the trail if we start a the Lyell Canyon Trail Head?
- What transportation is available to get from this point to an airport (probably Las Vegas or San Francisco)?
- What transportation is available from San Francisco to get to the Lyell Canyon Trail Head where I will return to get my vehicle and drive down to Whitney Portal to pick up my family?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Stan