[pct-l] Entering PCT at Castle Crags from Dunsmuir

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Fri May 28 12:49:12 CDT 2010

Hi Clipper,

There is a reserved PCT hiker camping area at the state park at Castle
Crags.  In addition to offering hot showers (about 3 minutes of hot water
for a quarter last year) there is a separate spur trail from this reserved
camping area that hooks into the PCT.  I found that the state park personnel
were very friendly.  There is a nominal charge for camping.  The trail spur
is extremely convenient; otherwise the official trail head is about an hour
or more north by road walk.

Alternatively, coming south from Dunsmuir there is a stealth camping
opportunity at a parking area for the Sacramento River access on the brief
road walk that connects the two PCT trail heads in this area.