[pct-l] Is it a thru-hike?

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Wed May 26 13:49:43 CDT 2010

It most definitely is IMO.

What you described is called a flip-flop or a
"flip" for short..

Many people over the years on all the Big Three trails have done this method to finish their thru-hike.

Whether because of snow issues, timing, avoiding crowds or the simple answer of "just because", it is a
good way to get a thru-hike in.

Some people in the hiking community (esp the ONLINE hiking community) will debate
endlessly about what constitutes a thru-hike, purity and other inane issues and will
tell you not to HYOH but to  HMHDI... :)
http://www.pmags.com/joomla/pdf/hike-my-hike-damn-it.pdf

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/