[pct-l] Cougar Encounter

tom aterno nitnoid1 at yahoo.com
Tue May 25 16:29:07 CDT 2010

I saw a cougar in the Grand Canyon, South Rim, on New Years morning of 2006.  I was driving to Desert View to photograph the New Year sunrise.  I turned into the parking lot and as I was driving on the short connecting road, a cougar ran in front of my car, from right to left, and disappeared.  I mean, he was at a full on run.  Not many animals could out run that cat.  I didn't have time to take its picture.  He (or she) had a very fluffy coat and tail - it was very cold on the south rim that morning, with a nice dusting of snw from New Year's Eve.  There were a few elk seen on the drive from the visitor center to Desert View, and they probably make up a good portion of the cougar's diet.

The only other person in the parking lot was a ranger, and he said its den was nearby.

What a way to start the new year.  Everything has been looking up ever since.

The Incredible Bulk