[pct-l] Planning First Solo Hike

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon May 24 16:38:49 CDT 2010

On May 24, 2010, at 8:12 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Very well said.......am interested in where the mountain loins
> are ??.....:)

I don't know the mountain lions exact range, but my guess is you'd be
most likely to see one in Southern California. Their range is sort of
constrained by encroaching civilization, plus they had those fires
recently which only reduces their available space.

Mountain lions attack from behind. They grab your skull with their
teeth. You won't hear it coming. But since most people have a
backpack on, the backpack might provide some protection by making it
harder to get to your head from behind.

Most people who are attacked by lions in So Cal that I've heard of
seem to be children and mountain bikers. Small people and ones moving
fast for the chase. So that makes an attack on a backpacker even less
likely.