[pct-l] Follow-up to the earlier GPS discussion

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Fri May 21 22:16:57 CDT 2010

Good evening, Carl,

When hiking I don’t try to log my entire track so I have no reason to leave
the GPS on all the time.  I may turn it on 5-6 times per day, and then only
for a short time.  Two AAA batteries have always lasted me between resupply
points but I carry an extra pair anyway, at 0.39 ounces each.  In town, I
arbitrarily change the used pair in the instrument.  Maybe, if it was a
really bad snow year, I would carry two extra pairs instead of one.

My only predictable use of the GPS is in the evening while I’m in the sack
writing my daily journal notes.  I turn the GPS on long enough to get me a
tight campsite location to include in the notes, and I save that point in
the GPS memory by date.  There’s really no good reason for this but when I
get home I like to import and save all my campsite locations on the TOPO!
mapping software.

During the day when I stop to take a breather I may turn the GPS on briefly
to affirm my location just out of curiosity.  The quick way I do that is to
select the “nearest waypoint” function.  That tells me where I am relative
to the waypoints that I happen to have onboard.  These occasional checks
also serves a semi-useful purpose:  The time required for the GPS to gather
 information and determine a location is dependent upon how far one has
traveled and how much time has passed since the last log-on, so these
occasional start-ups help the GPS to react more quickly when I really need
it.

I do install a few hundred waypoints, and some of my favorites are the big
passes.  The ridges in the Sierras can run every-which-way and the trail
approaches to the passes aren’t always intuitive.  For example the approach
to Muir Pass is across some pretty big expanses of snowpack and the nominal
approach heading is approximately southwest.  On other passes the actual
crossing point isn’t readily apparent from below.  Approaching Forester for
example, few people can guess which little notch has the actual pass.

After crossing a pass the nominal north side is usually more heavily
snow-covered than the approach side, but a quick glance at the map will show
that the trail drops down into a huge drainage and generally follows the
outflow creek.  One seldom needs a GPS for that: Just head downhill and keep
the eyes open for the trail.  Usually I can easily see it below somewhere so
I just head for it on the most promising route across the snowpack.

I will admit that sometimes I pick one of my waypoints to “go-to”, and I
keep the GPS on and watch the distance click down just so I can see how
close I happen to be when I reach it -- mildly amusing in a geeky sort of
way.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09