[pct-l] Follow-up to the earlier GPS discussion

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu May 20 10:37:01 CDT 2010

Good morning, Melanie,

I’d like to offer a somewhat different view of GPS usage on the PCT.  I
don’t consider a GPS to be mandatory because thousands of people have hiked
the PCT without one.  Indeed many hikers don’t understand or try to do any
navigation regardless if they have guidebooks, maps, a compass, or anything
else.  They are neither skilled nor interested:  They most often hike with a
group and they just follow others when a navigation decision is made.  Like
most things on the trail that’s a personal choice carrying certain rewards
and risks.

Because I most often hike alone I must be responsible for my own navigation.
I carry a modest compass, a GPS, and HalfMile’s fine maps, but I use a
light, basic Garmin Geko-200 GPS rather than one of the slick, new color
mapping models.  As an ultra-lite hiker I like the fact that the Geko is
half the weight – or less – of most of the fancier models.  As a cheapskate
I like the fact that the Geko costs about 1/3 of what the fancy models cost.
In fact, I have two Gekos and I can – but don’t – carry both of them for
security and the result is lighter and less costly than one of the more
“standard” models.  If one of the Gekos went belly-up I’d still be
navigating.

I don’t use a “mapping” GPS.  I find the image is too small to satisfy me,
and I will always have the paper maps anyway.  Some say the larger models
are more accurate by virtue of their larger, more sensitive, antennas.  Maybe…
possibly… but I seldom even turn the thing on, and whenever I have it’s
never failed to satisfactorily solve my location.

In terms of accuracy, GPS locations are several orders of magnitude better
than compass-based locations.  When I hear someone criticize GPS accuracy
I’m led to believe that they’ve never tried to locate their position on a
topo’ map by triangulating from the peaks of surrounding mountains --
assuming they can actually see peaks; assuming they know for sure which
peaks they’re looking at; and assuming they can identify which of the many
bumps on the ridge is actually the peak.  It’s particularly difficult in the
Sierras where there are many peaks all strung together on ridges, but it’s a
bit easier in the Pacific NW where the tall volcanoes usually stand
prominent and alone.  There the problem is the peaks are mostly in a
north-south line and it’s hard to get something at 90 degs. to form a
triangle.

My little Gekos have limited memory so I can’t store all of HalfMile’s
waypoints, but I don’t need all the waypoints.  I look at the list and only
select important ones for upload to the GPS.  I load certain trail
junctions, road crossings, water sources, towns, etc.  The remainder of the
waypoints are printed tight, small, and double-sided for a resupply section,
and are available for me to manually enter selected locations that I may
want.  For example, last year approaching the Devil’s Slide Trail there was
snowpack for the last mile and hiker tracks were going every-which-way from
people trying to find the trail.  I could have spent the time puzzling-out
the trail location, but instead I started the GPS, selected “go-to” the
trail junction, and I walked straight to it.  After all, there was pizza and
beer waiting in Idyllwild.  While in town I spent a few minutes entering
additional waypoints into the GPS from the paper list to help along Fuller
Ridge.  As it turned out, I didn’t really need them but I was glad I had
them.

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09