[pct-l] ultralight tent recommendation for 2 people

rcluster at comcast.net rcluster at comcast.net
Wed May 19 18:02:48 CDT 2010

Julie and I moved to a Lunar Duo early on during our hike last year. We wanted a little more room than our previous REI Quarterdome. The LD was lighter and much larger without giving up full bug netting, bathtub floor and dual doors and vestibules. We love the room and the ability to sit fully upright in the tent, something we couldn't do in the Quarterdome.

We didn't have any more condensation issues with it than we did with the Quarterdome. Both will condense if you don't allow enough ventilation or if you pitch over vegetation. We used a tyvek footprint at all times with both tents. We did get the heavier floor option in the LD.

I added dual tie-down lines to the loops at each corner of the LD and there were a few times I was very glad I did. It did seem to shed wind pretty well, we never had any issues, but I was glad for all the extra stake points. You do need one set of treking poles to set it up.

I did break/wear through one of the little corner tie-down ribbons on a very windy night due to my own fault (too rough of a rock used for a weight on the tent stake). Some tent line served as a temporary repair until I met Ron Moak at PCT Trail Days and he gave me a couple of new ones. Yes, gave.

The only negative we had with the LD was it takes a larger area to set up so there were a few camp possibilities we had to pass on. Wasn't really a big issue though.

We didn't get the chance to test it in new snow.

Overall we love the Lunar Duo and would buy it again.

Ron & Julie
Snowplow & Rubber Legs